Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mmmm, Soup

Mmmmm, noodle soup.  I mean soup!  I mean noodle soup!


Am I the only one who still quotes "Friends"?  Yes?  Never mind then.

In my quest to slim down and shape up, I pulled out a few of the many, many (many) diet books that I paid too much for acquired over the years.  I figured if I was going to eat healthy, I needed some recipes that didn't call for whole sticks of butter (Sorry, Pioneer Woman.  I love you, but you're killing my waistline.).

Bob Greene's The Best Life Diet has some fairly simple and appetizing recipes.  Over the weekend I made Mexican Tortilla Soup with Roasted Chicken.  It was divine. Anything made with fresh lime juice is divine in my book - salsa, guacamole, cosmopolitans, kamikazes, (I'm getting off track but can't stop), gimlets, margaritas, and apparently this drink.  Can you imagine going into a bar and asking for this?  What if there was a waxing place that served drinks and you asked for one of these?  Confusion all around.

Back to the point.  This soup kicked ass!  I highly recommend you try it soon.

Mexican Tortilla Soup with Roasted Chicken


2 T. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 small roasted chicken, skin and bones discarded, meat shredded
One 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (regular diced tomatoes are fine)
2 T. fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half, then into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 ripe avocado, cubed
1/4 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese

In a large stockpot over medium-low flame, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onions and saute them until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper, and saute the mixture another minute.

Add the chicken broth, raise the flame to high, and bring it to a simmer. Add the shredded chicken, tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove the stockpot from the heat and cover.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium flame, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the tortilla strips and allow them to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle them with salt.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with cubed avocado, shredded cheese, and handful of tortilla strips.

Serves 4. Per serving, about: Calories: 264, Protein: 11g, Carbohydrate: 23g, Dietary Fiber: 4g, Total Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 21 mg, Calcium: 135mg, Sodium: 398 mg.

Note from me: I bagged the tortilla strips and just broke up some corn tortilla chips on top.  Tasted great, if you ask me. Also, if you can find low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, you rock.  I couldn't find it anywhere, so I just omitted it altogether. 

No comments: